12/10/18 PTA Minutes


Meeting called to order by Janet Giron at 6:09 pm on Monday, December 10, 2018
Attendance: Jennifer Withrow, Janet Giron, Sharon Hart, Lovey Fritts, Mary Tarango, Bianca
Minutes from the November Meeting were reviewed. Jennifer Withrow motioned to approve
and seconded by Sharon Hart. Minutes were approved
COO Report/ Title 1 –
Lovey Fritz thanked the PTA for all that they do for the school and gave us a heartfelt goodbye.
Lovey’s last day as COO will be December 13, 2018. Lovey introduced Mrs. Bianca Belmonte-
Sapien as the new Title 1 Parent Liaison.
Mrs. Belmonte-Sapien is working on a compact with students, parents, teachers, and
administrators, which is required for us to receive funding. Mrs. Belmonte-Sapian has worked
with student to come up with a draft of what they think parents, teachers, students, and
administrative responsibilities should be to help make the best learning and nurturing
environment at school and home. She will meet with each group to make a final copy of the
compact. We will post the final copy once it is complete. One of the requirements, is that
parents participate in title 1 events. PTA will try to have meetings and events with free food to
try and entice families to attend these events. Another suggestion, is that students and parents
will use the agenda as a two way communication between school and home. This will help
parents receive the information on Title 1 events. The Title 1 team has also found some funds
that can be allocated towards helping with OSI’s. There is also a Title 1 brochure in the front
office that allows parents to see what opportunities there are for family engagement. Mrs.
Belmonte-Sapien will work closely with PTA to make sure our family obligations are met.
Principal Report-
Mrs. Tarango introduced Mrs. Bianca Belmonte-Sapien as the New Vice Principal starting
January 2, 2019. The Vigil Group will be taking over the financial/Business office aspect of the
school. The school has worked with the Vigil Group in the past, so an easy transition is
expected. A new teacher Mrs. Layton was hired as the 8 th grade ELA teacher and will begin
work on January 2, 2019. Mrs. Ross will move to 7 th grade for the remaining of the year. Mrs.
Belmonte will attend all the all the OSI’s in place of Mrs. Ross.
We are still on track to move into the new building over spring break.
Barnes and Noble was not as busy as past years. This year we only were allowed to earn for 1
day, in years past we were allowed 3 days. We do not have a total on what was earned. The
band also played and they were so good.
Treasure Report-

Beginning Balance: $7,430.76
Income: $1,476.74
Which includes dues, trash bag sales, corporate contributions (Kroger & bank interest),
snack bar, and Scrip income
Expenses: $311.32
Which include office supplies (postage for box Tops), OSI Assistance (5 th OSI in January
ice skating), and Student store.
Ending Balance: $8,586.83
A motion was made by Jennifer Withrow to move $100.00 from fall festival to OSI assistance
and seconded by Bianca Belmonte-Sapien. Motion passed.
A motion was made by Bianca Belmonte- Sapien to move $20.00 from fall Festival to Insurance
and seconded by Jennifer Withrow. Motion passed.
Social Committee-
Science Bowl went well. Janet took the snacks to Keshet and set up. The location was a very
nice venue for the event.
Wednesday, December 12 is the Spelling Bee. It will be held in the school cafeteria. Janet will
set up snacks and Sharon will purchase awards.
Drop and Shop is scheduled for December 14 5:30-8:30. We currently do not have any RSVP.
Jennifer and Janet have decided that if there are less than 20 pre-paid participants we will cancel
the event. We will have Mrs. Morga send out one more e-mail. RSVP and Money will be due on
Wednesday, December 12. We will also ask Mrs. Morga to call in the pizza order to Dion’s. We
have plenty of adult volunteers. We will have fun games, movie, and crafts. Mrs. B offered to
work the art table.
Mrs. Tarango will send out a donation letter for the alternative fundraiser before the end of the
Teacher appreciation will be on Wednesday, December 12. Janet was able to get a little over
half of gift certificates donated from local restaurants. PTA will purchase the remainder. We
will also have coffee, hot chocolate, cookies and a cheese tray for them to snack on. The event
will be in the cafeteria. We will have games for them to play. Jennifer Withrow will also help.
Rudy’s also donated so we will save those gift cards for the next teacher appreciation event.
Jennifer Withrow suggested a teacher appreciation idea where we would solicit parents each
month to “adopt” the teachers. We would have them bring food so the teachers could have a
nice lunch once a month. It is kind of a coordinated potluck. This is done at the elementary
school where one of Amy Morga’s son attends.
Another idea is to do a birthday cupcake for the teachers.
Amore Pizza offered to have a fundraiser for us.
We need to start looking for people who want to fill positons in the PTA.
We need to do a better job of advertising meetings.
Meeting was adjourned at 7:24 pm. It was moved to close the meeting by Jennifer Withrow and
2 nd by Bianca Belmonte-Sapien. Next Meeting will be Monday, January 14, 2019 at 5:45