10/12/20 PTA Minutes

The meeting was called to order by Janet Giron, President, at 7:04 pm on Monday, October 12, 2020.
The minutes from the September 28, 2020 General PTA meeting were read and approved as corrected.
Attendance:
Bianca Belmonte-Sapien, Janet Giron, Angela Lerner, Mikel Wagner, Alfreda Begay, Amanda Jones, Catherine Jones, Adam Jones, Anne Massi, Brie Logan, Dorene DiNaro, Lani McCarson, Fatima Ceballos, Marisela, Medrano


Principal’s Report by Ms. Belmonte-Sapien:
 Thank you to parents and the 7 th grade team for attending the meeting.
 The school has started a student recruitment drive ahead of the 40 day count. We are also recruiting students in 1 st , 2 nd and 3 rd grades for next year.
 This year we have to have our own Title I program since we are no longer part of APS. It will be AFIT (Assistance to Families in Transition) lead by Ms. McGrane. The school will work in conjuction with Roadrunner Food Bank to be a possible food pick up point during covid.
 The MAPS testing data is in. Students were 57% proficient in Science, 51% proficient in Language, 44% proficient in Math, and 53% proficient in Reading. We look to double
expected growth per NWEA by the end of the year. President’s Report by Janet Giron:
 The school’s Governance Council meeting will be at 5:30 on Thursday, October 15 th via Zoom. Reopening plans for the rest of the year will be discussed.
 Yearboks are on sale. You can message Janet Giron via Facebook if you need more information. If ordered now, there is a 5% discount.

Treasurer’s Report by Angela Lerner:
 The bank balance is $11,914.63.
 We received $96 from United Way.
 The check for $2,300 from the music GoFundMe has been received and will be deposited tomorrow.
 There is one outstanding check for $1,000 to Volcano Vista Booster Club.

Fundraising:
 We have received the postage paid bags from GotSneakers.com and can begin collecting sneakers. We will put a box in the school lobby for donations, and also ask for people to drop off sneakers during the Trunk-or-Treat.
 Janet Giron asked Alfreda Begay to contact Chick-Fil-A about a restaurant night fundraiser. Other possibilities are Papa John’s, Whataburger, and Domino’s
 The Trunk-or-Treat will be on Saturday the 24 th of October (contingent any new restrictions that the Governor might announce on Thursday). There is a farm in Edgewood that will sell us pumpkins for $1 each. The pumpkins will be handed out to students to be decorated. The students can submit photos of their decorated pumpkins for prizes in different categories. Prize categories might be best painted, best carved, scariest, most creative, best character, etc. We will use Flipgrid for the contest. Janet Giron asked Fatima Ceballos to contact McCall’s Pumpkin Patch when she metioned the possibility that they might give us a better deal on pumpkins. Parents with trucks will be needed to help gather the pumpkins. The Student Council would like to have a booth during the Trunk-or-Treat.

New Business:
 Ms. Logan will is asking the PTA to fund the prizes for Science Bowl again this year. The competition will be on January 13 th . It will be a virtual competition. There will also be a virtual regional competition. Ms. Logan will email information to Janet Giron so that we can put it on the agenda and vote on it during the next meeting.


The next PTA General Meeting is set for Monday, November 9th at 7:00 pm via Zoom.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:38 pm.

9/28/20 PTA Minutes

The meeting was called to order by Janet Giron, PTA President, at 7:03 pm on Monday, September 28, 2020.
The minutes from the August 7, 2020 General PTA meeting were approved as read.
Attendance: Bianca Belmonte-Sapien, Janet Giron, Angela Lerner, Mikel Wagner,
Alfreda Begay, Alesha Dillander, Belgee Chandler, Brenda Segovia, D. Dinaro, Erin
Saunders, Ernesto De Lilla, J. Johnson, Ken Johnson, Lani McCarson, Megan Ramirez,
Rebecca Starrett, Scott Kircher, Jamie Kircher,Wendy McCourt, Shari and April
Principal’s Report by Ms. Belmonte-Sapien:
 Thank you to parents for attending the meeting.
 Students’ Progress Reports will be released by September 30 th.
 Students are doing a good job attending classes and using the learning support times
provided by their teachers.
 The school applied for and received funding for 10 extended learning days. These days have
been added throught the school year and can be seen on the calender on the school website.
There will be no Fall Break as these will be extended learning days and school will end on
June 3 rd .
 The school has re-established its Equity Council and begun a School Advisory Council.
These councils will meet once a month, most likely before the PTA meeting.
 The school’s Governance Council meets on the 3 rd Thursday of every month. Parents are
welcome to attend. The next meeting will be October 15 th .
 The school staff has participated in Covid safety training. Covid screening for students will
also be implemented.
President’s Report given by Janet Giron:
 The chrome book pick up was a big success thanks to the hard work of the staff. The PTA
was able to pass out uniforms and goody bags to the students.
 More donations for the uniform closet are needed.
 2 people are needed for the by-law revision committee. The by-laws need to be revised and
submitted to New Mexico PTA by Friday, October 2.
 The PTA’s Adopt a Teacher Program has been very successful. Parents donate money to
“adopt” a teacher each month. The PTA then provides lunch or another treat to each staff
member. This month the lunch is being provided by a parent who owns a catering company,
so in this way we are also helping support small businesses in our community. A few
donations are still needed for October.
 The school supplies fundraiser was also successful. 51 bundles of supplies were sold.
 Membership – we now have 16 members. Go to the Memberhub link on the Facebook page
to join.

Treasurer’s Report given by Angela Lerner:

 The bank balance is $11,970.89. We have $8,000 in carryover.
 The actuals have been posted on Facebook.

 The budget has been posted and will need to be voted on tonight.

Fundraising:

 There will be no Fall Festival this year but we are working on a plan for a trunk-or-
treat/car parade at the school near Halloween. Participants would remain in their cars.
 Janet Giron is working on procuring pumpkins locally. These will be distributed to
students with the potential for an on-line pumpkin decorating contest with prizes.
 A committee of 2 or more people is needed to help Alfreda Begay with fundraising.
 Restaurant fundraisers are always popular. We will look into doing more of them this
year.
 An online auction is another idea. We would solicit local businesses for donation of
items that could be auctioned.
 Mikel Wagner is looking into setting up a GotSneakers.com fundraiser.
GotSneakers.com would provide marketing material and postage paid bags and we
would collect sneakers to send in. They pay $3 apiece for new sneakers, $1 apiece for
wearable used sneakers, and 25 cents for sneakers that would need to be recycled. Drop
off could coincide with the Halloween event.

New Business:
 Mr. Johnson spoke about his GoFundMe event for Music. A goal of $1,500 was set in order
to pay for a music theory program which will allow students to learn music theory online
and at their own pace. $2,300 was raised.
 We will need to add Music as a new line item under Fundraising so we can accept
donations, purchase the music theory program with the GoFundMe proceeds, and use the
extra money to support other music events like the end of year performance.
 Alfreda Begay moved that under Fundraising in the budget we add line items for School
Supply Bundles, Music, and Adopt a Teacher. Angie Lerner seconded the motion. All voted
in favor and the motion was passed.
 Alfreda Begay moved that the proposed 2020-2021 PTA Budget be approved. Angie Lerner
seconded the motion. All voted in favor and the motion was passed.

Other:
 The only sports which will played this fall are Golf, Cross-Country and Volleyball. Please
contact Coach DA for information.

The next PTA General Meeting is set for Thursday, September 9 at 7:00 pm via Zoom
The meeting was adjourned at 7:52pm.

8/7/20 PTA Minutes

Meeting was called to order by Janet Giron, PTA President, at 7:03 pm on Friday, August 7, 2020
Minutes from the May 21,2020 General PTA meeting were approved as corrected.
Attendance: Bianca Belmonte-Sapien, Janet Giron, Tiffany Johnson, Angela Lerner, Mikel Wagner,
Alfreda Begay, and Alesha Dillander
President’s Report by Ms. Belmonte-Sapien:

  1. Thank you to parents for attending the meeting
  2. Teachers have been working hard to welcome kids back. They have been meeting and
    planning during the summer, although they are not required to start work before 8/24. We
    have 10 new staff members. The week of 8/24 will be in-service week for teachers.
  3. A schedule will be out by 8/12 for online learning and for the drive through technology
    distribution on 8/31.
  4. Health and Wellness information will be distributed during technology distribution.
  5. The school will be limiting visitation during the school year. Visits will be by appointment
    only. If a student needs to be picked up early he or she will be walked out to a parent by
    staff.
  6. Instructions for online MAPS testing will be distributed. The testing will take place Tuesday
    through Thursday September 1st through 3rd.
  7. Students will be encouraged to show Dragon Spirit and wear their uniform shirts during
    online meetings.
  8. Parents will be notified when they can drop off the supplies which are needed for the school
    (copy paper, for example).
  9. There will be a modified OSI fee. Information on how that can be paid will be forthcoming.
  10. The photo contract managed by the PTA will again be with Kenneth Brown Photograpy.
  11. Enrollment is at 368. This is 12 students away from our goal of 380. Openings are still
    available for grades 4,5,6 & 8, and parents can still place their children in the lottery for 7th
    grade.
  12. Teachers will again have online office hours.
    Treasurer’s Report given by Angela Lerner:
  13. No new checks were written since the last report.
  14. All outstanding check have cleared.
  15. One deposit of 357.16 was made.
    Vice-President’s Report:
  16. Because we will not have face to face opportunities to collect membership money, we will
    have to figure out other ways to do so.

PTA Convention:

  1. The convention will be virtual this year.
  2. We have 5 spots. 4 are for officers, so one is available for any parent who would like to
    attend.

Secretary:

  1. Mikel Wagner was appointed Secretary.
    Uniforms:
  2. The clothing bank will be available the week before students return for in-person
    instruction. It will be outstide.
  3. Uniform donations will be accepted. A container in the school lobbey will be provided for
    drop offs.
  4. 21st Century uniforms are available on the Ad-It-Up website. Masks will also be available
    on the site.

Snack Bar:

  1. The snack bar will not be open for the time being, but a chairperson is still needed for when
    it can be open again.

School Supplies:

  1. The PTA will again offer bulk items for parents to purchase which will then be delivered to
    students’ homerooms. Some items, such as Clorox wipes, cannot be purchased in bulk this
    year.

In-Service Lunches for Teachers:

  1. $400 is allocated to purchase 1 lunch and 2 breakfasts during in-service week. This is
    already a budget line item, so no vote is needed.

Fundraising Committee:

  1. A chairperson is needed. Someone with many creative ideas would be preferred, since this
    year will be extra challenging due to the need for social distancing

Social Committee:

  1. A chairperson is needed.
  2. In lieu of the Ice Cream Social, the PTA have a table on technology distribution day (8/31)
    to distribute information for parents and treats for students.

.
There was no new business.
The next PTA General Meeting is set for Thursday, September 9 at 7:00 pm via Zoom
Questions:

  1. Will there be sports? Coach D. A. is attending a meeting next week and will have more
    information then. So far only Golf and Cross Country will be allowed.
  2. Is Aftercare available? Aftercare will only be available for students on the days that they
    physically attend school.
    Meeting was adjourned at 7:59pm